In many states, avoiding probate may not be a compelling reason to have a living trust. Many states use a simplified probate process, which allows a Probate to be opened and closed with a minimum of hassle and expense.
California is not such a State.
In California, the Probate system is such a complicated mess, it’s almost reason enough to have a Living Trust, just to help your family avoid it.
Let’s examine the Top 5 Reasons to Avoid Probate in California:
- The extremely High Cost of Probate
- The public nature of the proceedings
- The length of time involved in Probating an Estate
- The bureaucratic, Court-driven nature of the Probate process
- The requirement for Minor Children to be put on a Family Allowance
We will examine each of these reasons in a separate post, which you can access by clicking a link above.